Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Why I suggest you do the legal paperwork right the first time!

I receive calls on a daily basis from people that don't want to pay to have their divorce papers done right. They don't want to spend under $1,000 for a divorce with children since the spouses are getting along. I refuse to do the paperwork and suggest that they hire someone else. I warn them that if the other attorney messes up the papers, it is going to cost them more for me to fix them! As I like to say, my plumber agrees not to practice law if I agree not to try to fix my own plumbing. In fact, my plumber loves do it yourselfers since he makes more money fixing the messes they create. Likewise, if I have to fix a "mess" it is going to be more costly than doing it right the first time. I went to law school for over 3 years and had to take a 2-1/2 day exam in order to practice law in the State of Texas. It just is not as easy as some people think.

No comments: