Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Old blogs never die!

In the past month I've received at least 4 phone calls from people wanting to do adult name changes.  They have seen really old blogs I've posted several years ago on adult name changes.

PLEASE DO NOT RELY ON OLD BLOG POSTS THAT I WROTE OVER A YEAR AGO!  

Please be advised that I have not handled an adult name change in over 3 years.  I'm not current on what the current Harris County Family District Court Judges policies are regarding adult name changes.

Additionally, if you file in a Harris County Civil District Court, those judges have a TOTALLY different policy regarding adult name changes.

For example, in family court you turn in the forms slowly.  In civil court, you hand in all the forms at the beginning.  I have never done an adult name change through the civil court system. I got used to the family court system and I always filed my adult name changes in the family system - those judges knew me so why not go where I'm recognized.

In summary, in the State of Texas, the Texas Legislature meets every 2 years.  They last met in 2011 and some laws changed.  Therefore, you cannot read a blog of mine written before 2011 and rely on it!

Plus, in 2011 several new people took the bench in Harris County Family District Courts.  The laws might be the same but human beings interpret the laws and each judge interprets the laws slightly differently.

No comments: