Thursday, January 1, 2009

Beware of on-line do it yourself legal kits

The State Bar of Texas as determined that the on-line kits that are being sold in Texas by outside companies located in California, Washington, Florida, New York, Colorado, etc. are not within their jurisdiction and cannot be stopped from selling their kits. If you purchase an on-line kit, it is BUYER BEWARE! Read the disclaimer. The kits sold in office supply stores clearly state on the box "state forms are not included". If the kit is "guaranteed" for 30 days, it takes 60 days for a Judge to grant a divorce in Texas. Therefore, if the judge denies the divorce, it is past the "guarantee" date. The clerk that accepts your divorce petition is NOT an attorney and they are required by law to accept anything you submit. You could submit a blank piece of paper and they would have to accept it if you insisted. I've not seen any kits that include the required Texas BVS form and the local county forms. Why? Because it would be impossible for them to prepare forms for every county in the US. I don't see any kits that include powers of attorney to transfer titile to motor vehicles or the Wage Withholding Orders for Child Support. Why? I don't know. But I include them in my kits -- why? Because I guarantee that if you tell me the truth, my kits will work! If you waste your time and money, don't expect an attorney to fix this mess for you for free. In summary, you get what you pay for!

No comments: