Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Custody instead of a guardianship for a minor (under 18) child

Custody is handled in the family courts in Texas. Guardianship is handled by the probate courts in Texas. I don't like guardianships for minor children. Why? They are paper intensive and sometimes more expensive than custody. I encourage people to consider legal custody for minor children. You would need to talk to an attorney to determine if you need legal guardianship if a minor child or if legal custody of a minor child would be better. I can't answer that question for you unless I talk to you about your individual facts.

No comments: