Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Elder Abuse

To report suspected elder abuse call 1-800-252-5400 and speak to a Texas Dept. of Family and Protective Services (aka DFPS) employee. This is the statewide intake for all complaints regarding the elderly. Reports may be made anonymously. However, be aware that an intentionally or maliciously false report is a crime. Mistaken reports are NOT a crime unless they are made in bad faith. Of course, if it's an emergency dial 911. The National Center for Elder Abuse is 1-800-677-1116 or Elder abuse may be neglect, abuse or financial exploitation of anyone elderly or disabled. It is illegal. My advice -- if in doubt -- make the call. The best news is that you might be wrong! It might be a "wake up call" for the family and/or friends of the person. People that take advantage of the disabled and elderly will hopefully be repaid in-kind 10 fold!

No comments: