Thursday, September 10, 2009

How to end a common law marriage?

2 ways:

1.  File for divorce -- or

2.  It is evidentiary presumption of no marriage if a suit for proof of marriage is NOT filed within two (2) years of the parties having "separated and ceased living together".  In other words, this presumption that there was no "marriage" can be fought and depending on the evidence produced for the judge's review, the presumption that there was never a marriage can be overcome.

No comments: