Saturday, March 17, 2007

Filing Fees in Harris County, Texas

Charles Bacarisse, the Harris County District Clerk, is in charge of collecting filing fees for Harris County divorces. The family law intake phone number is 713-755-5758. To file a Harris County family law case (divorce, custody, modification, etc.) you need to go to the basement of the Family Law Center located at 1115 Congress in downtown Houston, The courthouse is located at the corner of Congress and San Jacinto. Fees vary and can change at any time. The typical cost to file a divorce is between $210-$250. If you are truly indigent, there are forms that can be completed that allow you to file your lawsuit for free. The judge will determine at the end of your case if you qualify for free or if you need to pay the filing fee before he/she signs your paperwork. Payment is normally made by cash, cashier's check, money order or credit card. They will NOT accept company or personal checks - except for attorney checks. For $15 you can pay to have a person's employer notified that there is a child support order and that there should be income withholding. The form is titled: REQUEST FOR NOTICE TO EMPLOYER OF ASSIGNMENT OF INCOME". The office in the basement has this form available for free. You will need the name and adress of the employer to send the notice to. The Harris County District Clerk will send the employer a letter via certified mail. It takes a few weeks for the custodial parent to receive their first child support check. Be sure to include your name and mailing address at the bottom of the form and the Harris County District Clerk will let you know if the employer received (or did not receive) the notice. You will need to know the Cause Number of your case along with both parties full legal names. Name and mailing address of the employer's payroll or human resource department and the approximate date the assignment of Wage Order was signed by the Judge. Anyone can pay the $15 and have the non-custodial parent's employer notified. Be sure that you always let the Court, the San Antonio child support collection agency and your ex-spouse know of your current address. There are thousands of dollars that cannot be delivered to the custodial parent!

No comments: